Instagram

Thursday 6 September 2012

on thursdays in spring and releasing eps


As it has been a long while since my last post I am fearful this might get long and wordy (as I am surely known for editing in words as opposed to out), but then again, there is a lot to catch up on!  Since we last spoke I have been busy as a bee working on a variety of things all culminating in my EP release ‘tour’ (yes two cities constitutes a tour methinks!).  I’m not gonna lie, it has been a heck load of work, and being the sort who is naturally of the anxious persuasion, it also had moments which were overwhelmed by stress.  But really, it’s been the best and most rewarding thing I have done even though its been quite a long voyage just to get this far. 

Almost 3 years ago, in September 2009 actually, I was just hanging out in Houston, Texas with one of my closest friends, and we were sitting and chatting on her bathroom floor, which might I just say seems to be a setting which throughout life has proven to be the place in which life changing scenes play out for me.  Some of my most memorable moments include friends, bathrooms, and plum wine (and if your mind just went to the gutter,  get.it.out!).  My friend and I were sitting on the cold tiles talking about love and life and goals and dreams.  I was 25 at the time and I exclaimed that that was it; I had had enough of not chasing my dreams.  I declared that when I returned to New Zealand I was going to make an EP and it was going to be called heartplusmelody.  At that time I didn’t even know what songs would be on it, and in fact it turns out I hadn’t written any of them, but I just knew it was to be called heartplusmelody.  And so to cement this plan, this goal, my friend and I traipsed on down to the local tattoo salon and inscribed those exact words on the inside of my foot. 

So yes, it has taken three years for the initial gumption to be followed up by results.  But I consider myself a late bloomer, someone who takes her time with things, and definitely with the tortoise approach to life.  But I think that is ok.  It is ok to be 28 and only just releasing your first EP.  The EP release ‘tour’ was actually at a perfect time for me; it was at the end of the week that I turned 28.  I feel like I’ve started my year with a bang.  I don’t know about you, but I always give myself two new years, each year.  There’s the proper new year, at the start of the year, where you make your resolutions and you refocus yourself.  But then sometimes the year disappears before you have a chance to catch your breath, so I have my second new year on my birthday, cause technically it is also the start of a new year for me.  And as I said, I couldn’t be more pleased with how my second new year has begun.  We did our Wellington show at a cafe/bar called MEOW and  I love it there.  Mainly because if my lounge could look like anything, I wish it would look like MEOW.  All 70s decor, Lynch prints, people serving me food and wine.  I was nervous as the night started out because there were only a few people dotted around the place.  I was worried that despite all the work in promotion and advertising my audience might still be slight.  But as time wore on people flowed through the door till, from my on-stage perspective at least, it was full to the brim.  Standing room only styles.  Perhaps it was due to the fact that this time round I was hemmed in by 6 other people on stage with me (as I got on board some fantastic and new ‘utter strangers’ for these shows) or whether it was the few reds I skulled back beforehand, but my nerves slowly peeled off as we made our way through the soundscapes of Lontalius and Our Wild Lies to the point that when it came time for us to take the stage I claimed it and indeed set up home there.  I felt comfortable, at peace, and I had the best time I have had in ages.  I love performing.  I love singing.  I feel like things make sense when I do it.  At least to me.  The night almost feels like a dream now; a happy blur of goodness. (I have put some photos of the MEOW show below).

The next day however, when we realised we had to drive to Palmerston North, set up and then do it all again, our tiredness overtook any feelings of happy.  But then that’s the reality.  Like all things it’s part desperate hard work and exhaustion and part joyus fulfilling activity.  And of course, once the hard work was done, once we made it to Palmy and set up, that night too was a blast.

When I arrived home on Sunday I patted myself on the back, acknowledging to myself, I did it.  And then I collapsed in a ball of tiredness and watched ‘So you think you can dance’ till I fell asleep.

It’s funny though, all this work, all this energy, all this time, all these emotions, to get me here, at what I hope simply to be the beginning of my venture into music.  Now especially that I have a taste of it my mind is alight with notions and ideas all the time, and I am already dreaming about my follow up EP.

There is still a lot of work to be done.  Gigs is numero uno on the list of priorities.  I will surely notify you all as soon as I know of any on the horizon.  But also I just wanted to take this moment to thank the many many people who have been part of this with me.  I initially thought I was going to do this alone, as in make and release a CD under my name as a solo musician.  How thankfully wrong I was.  The name Rhiain and the Utter Strangers embodies how collaborative this whole thing is.  This EP and its release can be directly attributed to the likes of Oli Wilson, Nadine McGrath, Emma Tate, Tim Kelly, Chris Butchard, Rob Burns, Paul Gauvin, Alex Vaatstra, Dale Cotton, Jon Screech, Iain Dangerfield, Sarah Colman, Nina Tate, Monique Harlen, Andrew Tate and Brooke Singer.  But beyond that there have been people setting the stage for me for some time.  My family who have been physically, emotionally and financially supportive since, well, forever, and my close friends who have always encouraged me to chase rainbows and at times dragged me by the hand in order to do so.   I may be the face and the name, but I am certainly nothing without these peeps. 

Eeeugh I know.  That was a bit mushy ay.  Sometimes my heart is full of gushiness and a lush appreciation that I get a bit romantic in my expression.  But I think rolling with that is a good thing, I don’t think people tire of being thanked or appreciated.  And I hope all the abovementioned people know how thankful I am for their contributions.

So now it is September 2012.  Spring is upon us and my second new year has begun.   And I have hope it will be a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment